There are two 24-month periods in the current training cycle which ends on August 31, 2021. The first 24-month period, or unit, begins on 09/01/2017 and ends on 08/31/2019. The second 24-month period, or unit, begins on 09/01/2019 and ends on 08/31/2021, which is also the conclusion date of the 48-month training cycle.
Peace Officer Licensees
TCOLE Licensee Training Mandates (09/01/2017- 08/31/2021)
Training Unit- each 2yr Unit (09/01/17- 08/31/19, 09/01/19- 08/31/21), Peace Officers must take:
- The current Legislative Update (First Unit-3185, Second Unit-3186)(Rule 218.3(a))
- 40hrs, including the above 3185/6 course (Rule 218.3(a))
Training Cycle- each 4yr Cycle (current 09/01/17- 08/31/21), the Peace Officer must take:
- If the Peace Officer has Intermediate Certification or higher- no Cycle requirements
- If the Peace Officer does not achieve Intermediate Certification before the end of the Cycle- Cultural Diversity (3939), Crisis Intervention Training (3843), Special Investigative Topics (3232), De-escalation (1849) (Rule 218.3(d))
- Peace Officers first licensed on or after 01/01/2011, must take Human Trafficking (3270) within 1 year after initial licensing (Rule 218.3(f))
- Peace Officers first licensed on or after 01/01/16, must take Canine Encounters (4065) within 2 years of initial licensing (Occupations Code 1701.253(l), 1701.261), if not taken in BPOC.
- Peace Officers first licensed on or after 03/01/2016, must take Deaf and Hard of Hearing Drivers (7887) within 2 years of licensing (Occupations Code 1701.253(m)), if not taken in BPOC.
- Peace Officers first licensed on or after 04/01/2018, must take the 40hr CIT (1850) within 2 years of licensing (Occupations Code 1701.253(j)), if not taken in BPOC.
- Peace Officers licensed before 01/01/18, must take Civilian Interaction Training Program (CITP, course number not yet issued) by 01/01/20. All others within 2 years of initial licensing, if not taken in BPOC. NO EXEMPTIONS (Occupations Code 1701.253n).
- Peace Officers using Body Worn Cameras must take the Body Worn Camera course (8158) before using the cameras (1701.656), if not taken in BPOC.
- Peace Officers appointed to court security at ANY level of court, after 09/01/2017, must take the Court Security course (10999) within 1year of assignment to that duty. Persons already appointed to courtroom security on 09/01/2017 are required to complete the course by 09/01/2019. (Government Code 158.002 and SB42).
- Peace Officers performing the function of eyewitness identification, as designated by their agency, must first complete the Eyewitness Identification course (3286), beginning 01/01/18 (CCP 2.1386(c)).