Appeal & New Trial

If you are found guilty, and are not satisfied with the judgment of the court, you have the right to appeal your case. To appeal you must file an appeal bond with the municipal court within ten days of the judgment. The court must set the appeal bond amount at least twice the amount of the fine and costs. Review the Appearance section for the special rules for appealing pleas made by mail. Defendants in courts of record should check with the court for rules regarding appeals.

If you are found guilty, you may make an oral or written motion to the court for a new trial. The motion must be made within one day after the court’s rendering a judgment of guilt. The judge may grant a new trial if persuaded that justice has not been done in your case. Only one new trial may be granted.